This is a quick little yoga video of beginner-intermediate level designed to open up your hips, stretch your spine, and strengthen your core. The beginning of the video is designed to center you and bring your awareness inside your body. Starting with the breath, we begin to build heat. It’s called “ujayi breath,” and it sort of sounds like Darth Vadar. People always ask me if I have a cold when I do it. You should feel as if you’re fogging up a mirror, but you are breathing in and out of your nose.
After awakening the muscles, joints, and ligaments of body with some spinal cat/cow stretches, we move into some shoulder, back and arm strengthening poses. Modifications of dropping to a knee are offered to accommodate the beginner as well as additional pushups for the more advanced yogi. Tripod downward dog and warrior I are added to open the hips while working the legs and core.
- balance & stability
- arms & back
- Child’s Pose
- Tabletop – if knees hurt, place towel underneath or fold edge of mat over
- Downward Dog – modification on forearms
- Plank – modification on knees
- Tripod Downward Dog – modification on forearms
- Warrior I – modification on knees
- Chaturanga – modification on knees