If I could tell you a way to save money and burn fat, instead of burning money and adding inches to your waistline, is that something you’d be interested in hearing? I have found biking to be an amazing way to get places (somewhat) efficiently, get endorphins flowing, and burn some extra calories in the mean time.
I got a new bike 2 weeks ago and have made every excuse possible to ride. Trip to the grocery store? I’ll bring a backpack and go several times a week if I have to. Going downtown? Done. Brunch time? Meet you there with my helmet on in 20.
TOP 5 REASONS TO RIDE A BIKE
1. You always find a better parking spot.
2. You burn calories. All the caloric expense from the eating (and drinking) I like to do on the weekends is curtailed by the energy spent pedaling from each restaurant and bar. G. E. N. I. U. S.
3. Benefits the environment AND everyone who sees you biking is inspired by the trigger of seeing other people out being active. Truth.
4. Drinking and driving is bad. Having a beverage and getting on a bike (with a helmet) is self limiting and makes you hydrate more. And YES you can get a DWI on a bike so know your limits.
5. It’s cheaper than the maintenance on a car. And gas is expensive these days.
Ok so I know it’s not always practical. Moving furniture, carrying copius amounts of groceries, going anywhere over 10 miles, or heading to an event where you need perfect attire/makeup and not a drop of sweat? You probably want a car or other motorized transportation. Getting to and from places within a 5 mile radius? You might want to try a bike.