Here are a couple things you can do on a daily basis to increase your activity level and burn calories without spending extra time going to the gym.
1. TAKE THE STAIRS. You should feel guilty taking the elevator for one flight of stairs. Unless you are carrying 50 lbs worth of food thats about to spill or have SERIOUS knee issues or a really good reason why you shouldn’t, you should appreciate the work your butt is doing because daily activities like walking don’t use that large, lazy muscle. Your quads and hamstrings are utilized while walking, but to get that nice “tuck” under the booty you have to USE it. Squats and stairs are the best ways to do so.
2. TAKE A BIKE! Cars burn money and make you fat. Biking burns fat and saves you money. Sounds like a win-win, right? Are there any errands you can run that are within 5 miles of your house? Can you commute to work (maybe bringing a change of clothes so you don’t show up a sweaty mess)? Can you take the kids out for an evening ride to wear them out for bed? The dishes can wait. The house doesn’t have to be perfect. Your body will benefit back for every minute you give to it.
I realized I was driving 5 minutes to the grocery store when it was a 10 minute bike ride. Granted, I can’t put a week’s worth of groceries in my basket, but for a few items the ride was enjoyable and the basket and backpack I had were sufficient.
3. DO CALF RAISES/SQUATS AND SINGLE LEG BALANCING while brushing your teeth, texting/making phone calls. Utilize the time you have. Check out my post about exercising while driving. Do one of my 8 minute ab videos on your lunch break. Park in the back of the parking lot at the grocery store.
4. STAND UP. If you’re going to spend time after work on the computer, try standing. If possible, convert your desk at work to a stand up/sit down desk. STAND while playing video games, if that’s your thing.
5. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Like 3-4 liters (12-16 cups) a day. There are so many things drinking water will do to benefit your body, but having to get up and go to the bathroom 5-6 times a day is the least you can do to keep you active.
Thanks for coming, more top 5 coming soon!
Featured photo credit: photo by Adrian Miloszewicz http://www.flickr.com/photos/92638425@N03/9330269750/ via Flickr