So this is a quick little workout from my first shoot with Psychetruth. I was as unprepared as they come. I had some scribbled down exercises on a piece of paper, and went out to film in the park with Corrina, my videographer, with no idea what I was really doing to do.
Literally didn’t even have a mat to lay down on the ground, so I’m out in Zilker Park in Austin IN THE DIRT, getting my sweat on.
This video is simple but effective. There are a few main exercises and the main muscles addressed are glamorous abdominals and the less noticeable but just as important lower back, known together as the core. Although abs are made in the kitchen, strengthening the rectus abdominus underneath that layer of unwelcome fat will bring you closer to that oh so appealing six pack, in addition to providing balance and stability and helping in all other sports and activities. The lower back muscles will help develop lower back flexibility and also protect the spine.
Core strength is critical for preventing back problems and improving posture, to helping in day to day life outside the gym. Our core is the center of everything and NEEDS to be conditioned and strengthened. Check out the rest of my training and yoga videos on my site! This one is appropriately titled “8 minute abs”!
8 minute core video that focuses on the abdominals and lower back.
- Crunches (30 seconds)
- Tabletop and pulses (30 seconds)
- Bicycle crunches (30 seconds)
- Bicycle crunches with twist (30 seconds)
- Reverse crunches (1 minute)
- Crunches – 2x (30 sec)
- Side to side pulses (30 sec)
- Crunches – 1x (30 sec)
- Knee to elbow (30 sec)
- Tabletop (15 sec)
- Bicycle crunches with twist (30 sec)
- Tabletop and pulses (30 sec)
- Leg drops (30 sec)
- Alternating leg/arm raises (30 sec)
- Supermans (30 sec)
- Arms out back extensions (15 sec)
- Back extensions/Cobras (30 sec)
- Simple stretching
- Arms overhead
- Forward bends
Muscles Worked/Purposes of Exercises:
- Crunches – rectus abdominus (abs)
- Bicycle crunches – obliques
- Reverse crunches – obliques, transverse, and rectus abdominus
- Leg drops – transverse abdominus
- Supermans/Cobras/back exercises – erector spinae (lower back), glutes, hamstrings
- To protect lower back, tighten the small of lower back into the floor
- If neck starts to hurt, support where the back of the head connects to the top of the neck with hands