I know you don’t [exercise]… I know this. But I’m gone get you [sweatin] today. Cause it’s Friday. You ain’t got no job, and you ain’t got sh** to do!
Do this 10 minute workout before you start your weekend festivities. Your body will appreciate it.
This is a full body strength circuit with added weight. Mostly focusing on core, all exercises are designed to target the body in multiple muscle groups, making them more effective. The beginner can do these exercises without the weight, and the advanced athlete can do the exercises with heavier weight and for more rounds. The exercises are listed below as well as the muscle groups targeted. Keeping your core engaged and good form are very important. The mobility exercises at the end are crucial to recovery, and even though you may get bored I suggest sticking through till the end and stretching out properly.
10 lb plate – You can use ALMOST anything you have as a substitute for the plate in the video. Dumbells, kettlebells, a large book, a backpack filled with books or clothes. Be creative.
Foam roller – substitute PVC pipe (4″ and over), bread roller
Modify weight based upon difficulty. It’s a ten minute workout people. Don’t cheat yourself, make it difficult but doable. In the video I’m using a 10 lb plate because I shot 5 videos and worked out that day, but I typically use 25 lbs.
Beginners: 0-10 lbs
Moderate: 10 lbs – 25 lbs
Advanced: 25 lbs – 45 lbs
- Weighted sit up – abs, obliques, hip flexor, quad (rectus abdominus, external obliques, tensor fasciae latae, rectus femoris)
- Bridge presses – abs, low back, butt, hamstrings (rectus and transvers abdominus, erector spinae, gluteus maximus, hamstrings)
- Russian twists – abs, obliques, shoulders, lower back (rectus abdominus, obliques, deltoids, erector spinae)
- Weighted lunges – quads, hamstrings, butt, calves, abs (quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus maximus, gastrocnemeus and soleus, transverse abdominus)
- One arm tricep rows with plate pinches – forearms, triceps, shoulders and upper back (forearm flexors and dorsal interosseous, triceps, deltoid and latissimus dorsi) **MAKE SURE TO MODIFY TO LOWER WEIGHT IF NECESSARY. Find object you can PINCH or GRIP.
Well I think that’s all folks.
Enjoy your Friday. Drink lots of water. Especially if you plan on having a cheat day on your diet, or for me, a “YOLO” day where I don’t order the healthiest thing on the menu and find what I can substitute for butter and oil in my home cooked meals. No calorie counting. YOLO.
But if I have YOLO days (or moments of weakness during the week), I drink a few extra cups of water to make up for it. No scientific study that proves it helps, but it helps me balance the OCD health nut in the back of my mind.
Have a great weekend 🙂