Are you ready for the weekend? I sure am. The weather has been beautiful and it’s time to get out there and see the blue and green stuff my city has to offer. Hiking, floating, live music, Zilker park, probably a little bit of yoga. But it’s still Friday morning and I gotta get my work on.
I know you got a lunch break.
I know when you get home and go change you can put on workout clothes first.
I know you got ten minutes.
You got time for TV, you have 10 minutes. 10 minutes of Facebook or 10 minutes of cardio.
Love yourself. Pick the cardio.
Interval training. You’re gonna feel the burn. You will learn to love it.
So what is this interval training stuff anyways?
HIIT – or “High Intensity Interval Training” is basically periods of intense anaerobic exercise followed by periods of rest.
Why is it so great?
Basically it doesn’t take long to get results. Your aerobic capacity will improve. You burn more calories during and after your workout. Your metabolism will increase as human growth hormone is produced. The aging process is slowed and brain function increases.
How cool is that. This is why I love working out. It’s like the answer to everything.
Check out my 10 minute interval video below.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771BF1viey8&w=560&h=315]
2 minute warm up (adjust intensity based upon your fitness level)
- high knees
- butt kicks
- jumping jacks
- dynamic stretching (over-unders)
- Up & Overs (1 minute)
- Break (20 seconds) – shoulder stretch
- Jump Kick (1 minute)
- Break (20 seconds) – quad stretch
- Plank & Punch (1 minute)
- Break (20 seconds) – child’s pose
- Quick Feet (30 seconds)
- Break (20 seconds)
- Squat Jump (30 seconds)
- static stretching (hamstring)
- Up & Overs – works the core, shoulders, legs (modify on forearms, stepping instead of jumping)
- Jump Kicks – balance and stability, core – (modify without jump, modify and just bring knee to 90 degrees)
- Plank & Punch – core, shoulders, glutes, chest (modify on knees
- Child’s pose – stretch lower back and arms
- Quick Feet – works butt, legs, make sure to keep chest lifted
- Squat Jump – works butt, legs, core, drive hips back until your quads are parallel to the ground, make sure to keep knees behind toes lift chest
Anyway… you know you have ten minutes. You’re not gonna burn fat if you are sitting around on your tushie all day.
It’s Friday, earn those weekend calories!